Online Casino Guide for Canadian Players
Gambling is popular all over the globe, but there are countries where it can be hardly compared with other types of entertainment. Canada is one of them. The second-largest country in North America is famous for its gambling market and despite the existence of one state regulatory body called the Canadian Gaming Commission, every province has suggested its own gambling legislation and rules.
There are both land-based and web casinos operating in the country but for players looking for the best online casino, Canada can offer a great selection of websites to play on, so the choice can be difficult. Some players are worried by the fact that online gambling is considered illegal for Canadians but only if they access onshore online casinos operating without a license. On the other hand, it is allowed to play on offshore platforms without any restrictions, so the only thing needed is to choose a trusted casino and enjoy the process.
If you are located in Canada and still doubt whether you should enjoy online real money casino games, this guide will explain to you all the peculiarities of the gambling industry in the country and give answers to the following questions:
- What legal status online gambling has in Canada;
- How to improve your casino experience playing in Canadian online casinos;
- What is the difference between gambling laws in every province.
Best Online Casinos in Canada for 2023 ?
50 Free Spins
|First time depositors only. Min deposit is €/$10. ou can get on the 1st deposit 50 no-wagering Free Spins on Book of Dead. Spin Value: €/$0.10. No min withdrawal. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer. OJO’s Rewards and Game Play policy applies. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
€/$1000 + 100 Free Spins
|New players only. Min dep €/$20. Wager from real balance first. 50x wager the bonus. Contribution varies per game. Selected games only. Wager calculated on bonus bets only. Bonus valid 30 days. Free spins valid 7 days from receipt. Max conversion: 3x the bonus amount or from free spins: €/$20. Withdrawal requests voids all active/pending bonuses. Excluded Skrill deposits. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
100% up to €/$800 bonus + 100 Free Spins
|New depositing players only. Min dep €/$20. Welcome Package split over 3 deposits. 35x Wagering requirement applies to match up bonus. 100 spins splits to 20 spins a day for 5 days. Spins credited in specific games and expire after 24 hours. 50x Wagering requirement applies to spins. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
20 Free Spins
|No deposit offer T&C’s. New players only. No deposit offer required. Valid debit card verification required, €/$8 max win per 10 Spins, max bonus conversion €/$50, 65x wagering requirement. First deposit offer T&C’s: min deposit €/$10.00, €/$8.00 max win per 10 Spins, max bonus equals to lifetime deposits (up to €/$250.00), 65x wagering requirements. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
€/$10 + 500 Free Spins
|New players only. Min dep €/$10. Max bonus conversion equal to lifetime deposits (up to €/$250). 65x wagering requirements. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
Welcome Bonus €/$777 + 250 Free Spins
|New depositing players only. Min dep €/$10. 35x Wagering requirement applies to match up bonus. Spins credited in specific games. Spins expire after 24 hours. Wagering requirement applies to spins. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
100% up to €/$100 + 25 Free Spins
|First Deposit Only. Min. deposit: €/$10, max. bonus €/$50. WR of 60x Bonus amount (only Slots count) within 30 days. Max bet is 10% (min €/$0.10) of the Bonus amount or €/$5 (lowest amount applies). Spins must be used and/or Bonus must be claimed before using deposited funds. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
Spin Rider Casino
100% up to €/$300 + 50 Free Spins
|New players only. Min. deposit €/$20. Max. bonus bet is €/$5. Bonus spins on selected games only and must be used within 72 hours. Bonus funds expire in 30 days. On the 1s deposit, you can get a 100% bonus up to €/$300 plus 50 bonus spins on eligible Netent games. 35x wagering requirements. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
100% up to €/$300 + 20 Free Spins
|New customers only. Opt-in required. Min dep €/$10. 20 BS on "Book of Dead" & 100% Deposit Bonus up to €/$300 on 1st deposit. 30x wagering requirement for BS and 30x wagering requirement for Deposit Bonus (game weighting applies). Max €/$5/spin or €/$0.50/line or €/$10/round (live casino). 30 days expiry. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
150% up to €/$400
|1st deposit bonus: 100% up to €200. 2nd deposit bonus: 50% up to €200. Offers not available for any deposits thereafter. Opt-in by choosing the Welcome Bonus and Reload Bonus tabs respectively, before making your deposits, otherwise select "NO BONUS". Valid 30 days. Wager 1st (deposit+bonus) 25x; 2nd (deposit+bonus) 30x on eligible slots. Max bet €5. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
100% up to €/$300 + 200 Free Spins
|New players only. Min dep €/$20. Wagering bonus 35x. Wagering bonus spins 35x. The winnings must be wagered within 21 days. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
100% up to €/$1000 + 200 Free Spins
|New reg only. Opt in & deposit €/$10, €/$25 or €/$50 within 7 days & further 7 days to wager cash stakes 35x to unlock reward (€/$50 on 2 deposits). 3 day exp. Wagering/game contributions vary. 25 wager-free spins x10p to added to Big Bass Splash with each qualifying deposit, 3 day expiry. Full T&Cs apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
200% up to €/$5000 + 50 Free Spins
|For new players only. This welcome offer cannot be claimed in conjunction with any other offers. Please, pay attention that the bonus amount may differ, depending on your location. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
100% up to €/$1000 + 200 Free Spins
|New depositing players only. Min dep €/$10. Welcome Package split over 3 deposits. 35x Wagering requirement applies to match up bonus. 200 spins split to 40 spins a day for 5 days. Spins credited in specific games. Spins expire after 24 hours. 50x Wagering requirement applies to spins. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
Welcome Bonus €/$20
|New customers only. Min dep €/$1. For all subsequent deposits the min dep is €/$10. The 80 chances are credited as €/$20 welcome bonus & players can spin 80 times at €/$0.25 on the Mega Moolah progressive slot. 200x wagering requirement applies on all bonuses & certain games contribute a different percentage to the wagering requirement. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
100% up to €/$250 + 100 Bonus Spins
|New players only. One bonus offer per player. Min dep €/$10. Max bonus bet €/$5. This offer gives you a 100% match bonus up to €/$100 & 100 BS (valid on the following game only: Aloha! Cluster Pays). BS to be credited at a rate of 20 BS per day over 5 days, triggered on your 1st deposit. BS winnings credited in the form of bonus funds & capped at €/$50. Bonus funds valid for 30 days & BS valid for 10 days. Bonus funds are separate to Cash funds and are subject to 35x wagering on the value of the bonus funds and your cash deposit(s). Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
£/€200 + 100 FS, 2000 kr + 100 FS
|New depositing players. Welcome Package split over 3 deposits. Min dep for 1st deposit bonus: €/$10, for 2nd & 3rd: €/$20. 35x Wagering requirement applies to match up bonus. 100 spins splits to 20 spins a day for 5 days. Spins credited in specific games and expire after 24 hours. 50x Wagering requirement applies to spins. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
100% up to €/$100 + 50 Free Spins
|New UK Players Only. €/$10 Min Deposit. €/$5 Max Bet using Bonus. Max Bonus €/$100. 40x Wagering Req. Issued Bonus valid for 14 days. 50 Spins credited instantly upon qualifying deposit on pre-selected game(s). Credited Free Spins valid for 72 hours. Max Free Spin winnings €/$100. Ewallets excluded. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
100% up to €/$1500 + 50 Free Spins
|Create a new player account at Casino Planet. Make a deposit . Enter Bonus Code. Start playing with Casino Planet: €/$ 1500 Welcome Bonus + 50 Free Spins. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
100% up to €/$100 + 50 Free Spins
|New uk players only. €/$10 min deposit. €/$5 max bet using bonus. Max bonus €/$100. 40x wagering req. Issued bonus valid for 14 days. 50 spins credited instantly upon qualifying deposit on pre-selected game(s). Credited spins valid for 72 hours from. Max free spins winnings €/$100. Ewallets excluded. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
€/$1300 + 250 Bonus Spins
|This offer is valid to new players only. A minimum deposit of €/$10 is required. The minimum withdrawal from your cash funds is €/$10. Only one bonus offer is awarded per account per player. We have the right to suspend this offer if you are in breach of this clause.. This offer is not available to customers residing in the United Kingdom and Canada. This offer gives you the bonuses over your first five deposits on Starburst. are wagering requirements for you to turn bonus funds into cash funds. This is 35 times the total of bonus funds and bonus spins. Deposits made via skrill or neteller are not eligible for the welcome bonus and if taken, the casino reserves the right to confiscate all winnings. Bonus funds must be used (wagered) within 30 days and bonus spins within 10 days; otherwise any unused will be removed from your account. Bonus funds can’t be withdrawn until you have met all of these requirements above. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
€/$10 + 10 Free Spins
|First-time depositors only. Min deposit for a bonus is €/$10. Get 100% match up to €/$10 and 10 FS (on a game of our choice) on your 1st deposit. Promo code: AMBER. 60x wagering requirements. FS are valid for 7 days. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
50 Free Spins
|First-time depositors only. Min deposit is €/$10. On your first deposit, you will get 50 free spins on Starburst. The max bonus conversion equals the total lifetime deposit up to €/$250. 65x wagering requirements. 20 no deposit FS. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
200% up to €/$2500 + 50 Free Spins
|This welcome deposit offer is valid for new players only, and for the first 3 deposits. Minimum deposit of €/$20 is required each of the first 3 deposits. This welcome offer cannot be claimed in conjunction with any other offers. Winnings from Free Spins are credited as bonus funds. Winnings from deposit-based Free Spins are capped at €/$150. Bonus funds are subject to wagering requirements before they are converted to cash and can be withdrawn. This wagering is x35 the total of bonus money, deposit and Free Spins. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
Welcome Bonus up to €/$6000
|New Players only. You will get to spin a Multiplier Wheel on your 1st, 2nd and 3rd ever deposit of €/$10t: win a bonus up to 10X your deposit amount (€/$2,000 max bonus per deposit). Max bonus conversion is equal to lifetime deposits (up to €/$250). 65x wagering requirements. Full T&Cs apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
100% up to €/$50 + 50 Free Spins
|First deposit only. Min. deposit: €/$10, max. bonus €/$50. Game: Book of Dead, Spin value: €/$0.1. WR of 30x deposit + bonus amount and 60x Free Spin winnings amount (only Slots count) within 30 days. Max bet is 10% (min €/$0.10) of the free spin winnings & bonus amount of €/$5 (lowest amount applies). Spins must be used and/or Bonus must be claimed before using deposited funds. First Deposit/Welcome Bonus can only be claimed once every 72 hours. Bonus Policy applies. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
Up to €/$1000 + 100 Free Spins
|New Players Only. Wager from real balance first. 50X wager the bonus. Contribution varies per game. selected games only. Wager calculated on bonus bets only. Bonus valid 30 Days from receipt/ free spins valid for 7 days from issue. Max conversion: 3x the bonus amount or free spins: $/€/£20. Excluded Skrill deposits. Withdrawal requests voids all active pending bonuses. Full T&C's apply. 18+ Gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org|
Online Gambling in Canada – Overview
When you hear that gambling is very popular in Canada, it is difficult to understand to what extent. According to the observation, around 75% – 85% of citizens are involved in gambling of at least one form. Moreover, the industry of online casino games is growing incessantly and has increased by around 15% since 2016. The latest estimates of the Canadian Gaming Association suppose that the total annual revenue of the unregulated gambling market is over CAD 1 billion, However, according to another official source, offshore online casinos have a twice higher total interactive gross win than onshore ones and it can reach CAD 1.3 billion in 2024. These are only some examples of the incredible success of the country’s gambling industry and the evidence that Canadian online casinos are highly visited by local players.
How We Select and Rank the Best Canadian Online Casino
It goes without saying that a big selection always makes the choice harder, but all casinos are different and there are features that make some platforms the best Canadian casinos online. How do we differentiate them from others? Our experts analyze every platform according to a number of important characteristics.
- A casino without a license is risky because there are no bodies that regulate and control their activity. Therefore, a license issued by a reputable commission is the first confirmation of the casino’s trustworthiness. Despite the fact that Canada has its own unbiased experts in gambling most of the licenses are issued by Malta, UK or Kahnawake Gambling Authorities. It means that the casino has to meet certain requirements such as safety, fairness, and player protection in particular and the authority will control the execution of the following rules.
- The availability of certificates that provide independent game tests. It means that the software offered to players is tested by such world-wide recognized companies as eCOGRA, GLI, TST, and Gaming Associates to guarantee that their random number generators are fair. This information is usually provided directly on the casino website. One more important feature that says that casinos are safe is the use of SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) protocol to encrypt user personal data. It prevents player sensitive data from leaking and being hacked while its transfer.
- Mobile compatibility
- Most of the Canadian gambling sites are responsive and it is an important feature for players who prefer to access casinos from mobile devices. Moreover, it can be a great benefit if a casino has its own mobile app.
- Secure banking options
- Canadian online casinos list we provide on our website includes platforms that offer players enough popular payment methods to select from. These can be international solutions available for players from different countries or local banking options aimed only at Canadian players (like Interac, for example).
- Fast payouts
- It is a pleasure to win real money, but it is a real disappointment not to be able to withdraw your funds or wait for them for weeks or even months. Therefore, our fastest withdrawal casinos listed have banking options that allow cashing out funds as quickly as possible and guarantee their withdrawal if all the requirements are met.
- It is clear that the best online Canadian casino should be favourable to players and reward the most active gamblers. Therefore, every casino from the lists of platforms we offer has either VIP or loyalty programs for players who do not mind spending high amounts on their websites.
- Regular promotions
- Not only welcome bonuses should be available to players who join real money casino online. Active gamblers should have access to regular promotions and special offers as well since they make gambling more exciting and rewarding.
- Games variety
- It is clear that a good selection of games is key to the success of every gaming platform. However, not only the number but also the quality of casino games for real money matter to players. These should be different game types including slots, table and video poker games, live dealer and other games. Moreover, these should be products of several software game development companies too.
- It goes without saying that a good casino should have many jackpot games including ones with progressive jackpots that make the blood run faster with every new step. Every player dreams to hit one, so these games are usually more often requested by players than traditional ones.
- It can be great to play online casino in Canada, but when you once need help from a casino representative, you should get it as fast as possible. Therefore, one of the good casino characteristics is round the clock customer support available not only by email or chat but also via live phone communication.
We check all the casinos for these and many other requirements before advising them to players, so you can enjoy the process in any of them without any doubts!
List of Most Trusted Canadian Online Casinos You Can’t Miss
Now when you are aware of the way we select every casino to our rating, you can choose any platform from the list. Forget about a time-consuming reading of Canadian online casino reviews or risking your money deposits – every platform we have added to our top will not leave you indifferent. Naturally, you should check several platforms to identify which website design or game selection looks more appealing personally to you and only then register and deposit funds, but it takes only a couple of minutes. Are you ready? Let’s see the list.
€/$1000 / 100 FS
Setting Up an Account at Canadian Online Casino
The choice of the best Canadian casino online has been made. Now it is time to register on the casino website and provide some personal data including:
- age/date of birth;
- country of your location;
- security question;
In most cases, the sign-up procedure is pretty easy. Usually, players need to complete the following steps:
There are also casinos operating in Canada that allow registering on their websites using social media profiles of certain networks, but there are not many of them.
Popular Payment Options in Canada
One of the constituent parts of a great gambling experience is the choice of a convenient and fast banking option to deposit and withdraw in top Canadian online casinos. The most important things to consider for players are the speed of transactions, their security and irreversibility, transaction fees applied and ease of the payment process. Casinos operating in Canada accept payments via banking options available all over the globe as well as support some truly Canadian ones. The most widely-accepted examples of payment methods in the country are credit and debit cards, bank wire transfers, e-wallets, prepaid cards, cryptocurrency and others. You can look through the most popular examples below.
When it comes to deposits and withdrawals, most of the Canadian casinos do not apply any fees. However, there are exceptions in the rules, so reading casino terms and conditions can prevent players from paying extra. One more important thing to consider is fees applied by money processors and intermediate companies, so players should ensure in their absence not to lose extra money.
Deposit & Withdrawal Limits
Canadian casinos like many other platforms set their own limits on deposits and withdrawals. Even if you choose the best online casino for Canadians, you should be aware of the fact that there is a minimum and maximum deposit and withdrawal amount per transaction, per day, week, month. Usually, deposits are accepted from 20 CAD, though there is a list of casinos with minimum deposits that can start from 1 CAD. Maximum amounts are usually calculated in thousands of dollars. Withdrawal limits can be similar to deposit ones or be higher depending on the casino. The banking option selected by players impacts these limits as well.
Processing & Payout Times
It goes without saying that every player wishes to receive winnings as fast as possible. However, the processing time differs not only in casinos that apply their own pending time on reviewing withdrawal applications but also because of the payment method selected for cashout. The fastest-paying Canadian casinos can payout winnings in a couple of hours, while some platforms can stretch this time period for a week or even more.
Bonuses & Promotions
It is important not only to look through the list of the best Canadian online casinos to select the best ones but also to compare what bonuses and promotions they offer. If you want to take advantage of the best casino bonuses with lucrative rewards, you should have a clear understanding of which bonus types there are and who is eligible to benefit from them.
|Welcome Bonus||A reward in the form of a percentage match to the deposit amount or/and a certain number of free spins given to newly registered casino players if they make a deposit.|
|No Deposit Bonus||A reward limited in time, the number of free spins, or the amount of bonus money given to new players who have signed up the casino website without a deposit.|
|Match Deposit Bonus||A percentage of money calculated on the basis of the total deposit amount returned to the casino player in the form of bonus money.|
|Reload Bonus||A reward given to players who have deposited funds earlier and continue playing in the casino actively.|
|Payment Method Bonus||A reward given to only those players who make a deposit using a banking option mentioned in bonus terms and conditions.|
|Seasonal Bonus||A reward given to active casino players once per season.|
Canadian players are lucky to have access not only to traditional bonus types but also ongoing promotions offered in casinos. These special bonus offers can have a constant character, be offered to players who meet certain requirements or be limited in time. The most popular types of such promotions look as follows:
- VIP bonuses offered to the members of the VIP or loyalty program;
- Cashback offers that can be provided on a weekly, monthly, seasonal basis;
- Bonus points that can be exchanged for prizes or real money added to the balance;
- Giveaways with luxurious prizes;
- Free spins on newly released slot machines (often without wagering requirements).
Select Your Best Casino Type
Online casino is a general name of all gambling platforms operating on the Internet and offering different real-money games. However, top online casinos in Canada are also distinguished by types and each of them has its own peculiarities. Learn more details about the basic types of online casinos and choose the one that meets your requirements best of all.
✓ New Online Casinos
Despite the fact that the number of online casinos is already counted in hundreds, new platforms appear as fast as mushrooms after the rain. Moreover, trying to attract players they acquire a lot of great features, team up with more software game development companies to make their game selection much wider, offer much more lucrative offers with fewer wagering requirements, introduce new technology like 3D games and virtual reality, use artificial intelligence and try to impress players as much as they can. If you compare the number of new casino online platforms with the approximate time of their operation, it is possible to suppose that players can observe the launch of at least one casino a week.
✓ Live Dealer Casinos
A casino type that is gaining popularity with unbelievable speed is a live casino where all games are managed by real croupiers (dealers). What makes this casino special is its variety of features common with land-based casinos. The most important feature for many players is the absence of the Random Number Generator and computer involvement since all the actions in the gameplay are performed by real people. How do Canadian live casinos work? In fact, these are live streaming games broadcast from specially equipped studios. They can be played by several people simultaneously and even offer the possibility to play against each other.
✓ Mobile Casinos
No wonder that casinos of this type have received this name – they do provide players with mobility since they can gamble anytime and anywhere. One more reason why they are called in this way is the possibility to play on different mobile devices including:
- Phones and tablets powered by Android;
- Devices that support iOS: iPhone and iPad;
- Windows phones.
Some people may think that the number of mobile gambling sites is still quite small, but it is a great mistake. The majority of the best online casinos for Canadians are responsive and compatible not only with desktop computers, laptops but also with modern mobile devices. One of the reasons why such a point may exist is the fact that a small percentage of casinos operating in Canada offer mobile apps to players, but those who need a reliable casino application will easily find it too.
✓ Download Casinos
Earlier, when the Internet connection was not stable enough many casinos offered players to download their software, set it up to the computer and use it for gambling. Nowadays, this tendency has gone outdated and downloadable versions of casino software are usually offered as an addition to the online version. It makes gambling more comfortable since the casino icon is always on the screen for quick and effortless access. Moreover, the computer may remember account details and prevent players from entering them each time he wants to play.
✓ Instant Play Casinos
Most of the modern Canadian casino websites are instant play platforms because most of the games they offer do not require downloading or installing special software. A player can open any computer or mobile browser, select the game he likes and proceed with playing it without any obstacles. It will run smoothly and guarantee a great experience for everyone.
Best Casino Games in Canada
What is the most important thing in the casino? Undoubtedly, these are the games it offers. Every player comes to an online platform to find the best game, so it is important to provide him with a quite extensive selection from multiple software game providers. The most prominent development companies of Canadian online casino games are Microgaming, Betsoft, NetEnt, Play’nGo, Playtech, and others. Currently, players can enjoy casino games by over 50 providers while the number of games differs depending on the platform – from 100 up to 4,000. The most popular ones look as follows:
All casino games are different and it is important to know basic information about them before playing. Clicking any of these icons you can find information about each of these games and its varieties as well as learn how to play them, their features and peculiarities
Gambling Regulations in Canada
=Is online gambling legal in Canada? In fact, it has been considered illegal for several decades, but nowadays every province in the country can apply its own regulations of different gambling activities and, fortunately, all 10 provinces and 3 territories have been favourable to gamblers and approved this way of entertainment. Two online casinos and more than 100 land-based casinos operate in Canada legally since they have acquired local licenses or are managed by the federal government or at a provincial level. The main regulatory authority is the Canadian Gaming Association or local bodies. However, if a casino company violates Canadian laws and operates without a license, it will be accused and punished according to the articles of the Criminal Code.
Online gambling in Canada is usually referred to as a gray area since there is no official law to regulate it. The law does not prohibit online casino and betting as well as does not punish players who participate in this activity. Canadian players can visit any offshore platform but their operation is considered illegal in the country since they are not licensed by local authorities. It means that there are enough legit online casinos in Canada but most of them are regulated by gambling authorities of other countries.
Since gambling can be addictive, there are Canadian official bodies that deal with responsible gambling and possible problems faced by players:
Online Gambling Laws on Provincial Level
Since Canada has 10 provinces and 3 territories that are eligible to regulate gambling activity on their own, it is important to understand whether gambling on Canadian casino sites is legitimate in every province and what peculiarities it has.
- Regulation of land-based gambling in Alberta is performed by the provincial government. It is provided as a part of the Gaming, Liquor, and Cannabis Act and a good deal of its revenue is shared with charities. However, the government of Alberta does not run any online casinos, so players can enjoy gambling either in 25 land-based casinos or have fun playing in Canada’s best online casinos registered in other countries.
- British Columbia
- The main body to regulate gambling in the province is the British Columbia Lottery Corporation that is responsible for online gambling regulation in the province too. British Columbia can even boast a legal online casino platform PlayNow launched in 2004. Everyone who is 19 and older is allowed to gamble in this state-run casino where players can gamble without transgressing local laws.
- The main body that regulates the gambling industry in the province is the Manitoba Lottery Commission. It regulates not only land-based gambling but also became eligible to regulate sports betting, interactive poker and online casinos in 2013. As a result, state online casino PlayNow licensed in British Columbia has become popular with citizens of Manitoba too, but only 18-year-old and older players can enjoy this way of entertainment there. Nowadays, players from this province can access any offshore platform without any restrictions as well.
- New Brunswick
- Despite the fact that there are only a couple of land-based casinos and there are no state-run online gambling platforms in this province, many players prefer to visit Canadian online gambling sites. The province has created New Brunswick Lotteries & Gaming Corporation to implement the responsible gambling policy, manage the operation of casinos and their providers, etc. The minimum gambling age is 19 years.
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Unfortunately, there is no regulation of gambling in this province so there isn’t a single land-based or online casino there yet. However, the province’s gambling activities are under the regulation of the Atlantic Lottery Corporation and the last one even runs its own online gaming platform ALC.ca with a mobile app for players’ comfort. The official legal age for gamblers in 19 years there.
- Northwest Territories
- It is absolutely possible to gamble in the Northwest Territories if you are 19 years and more. The only licensing and sports betting body operating in the gambling industry is NWT and Nunavut Lotteries. At the same time, there are no land-based and legal online casinos, so players enjoy playing games in offshore casinos.
- Nova Scotia
- Despite the second smallest area among other provinces, the local population does not mind gambling at least once a year even though there is no official gambling regulation. There are no Canada’s online casinos established by the government there, but players who are 19 and older can access offshore online casinos and play for real money there.
- This is the least populated territory in Canada that can boast few betting gambling venues such as two lottery retail outlets. The population of Nunavut is only around 36,000 people. The harsh winter climate does not encourage people to visit any casinos, so they prefer to play online.
- The largest Canadian province can boast 25 active land-based casinos, so over 80% of the local population admits gambling at least once a year. A favourite game of players based in Ontario is slot machines since gamblers play it more often than other games. The province can also boast the only authorized online gambling site PlayOLG.ca, but it plans to refuse the monopoly in the gambling industry and open the market to private companies. Gambling in Ontario is allowed to 19-year-old players and older.
- Prince Edward Island
- The smallest but not the least in the gambling industry, this range of isles has the Prince Edward Island Lotteries Commission that has dealt with gaming in the region since 1976. There is one legal terrestrial casino that combines games with horse racing, while online gambling is left unregulated at the moment. Every person can become a gambler from 19 years on these isles, but most people living there prefer to gamble online.
- Being a pioneer in legalizing casino games in Canada in 1970, now the province has 9 active land-based casinos and even one government-owned online gambling platform. It has decided not only to stop accepting US players but even announced plans to block all online gambling sites that are not approved and licensed by Loto-Quebec. Currently, everyone who is 18 years old and more can gamble in a legit Canadian online casino and terrestrial casinos.
- Quite passionate gamblers are located in Saskatchewan since the gambling industry is developed there very well. The province even has its Saskatchewan Gaming Corporation that was named one of “Canada’s Top 100 Employers” by Mediacorp Canada Inc. However, gambling is regulated by the Saskatchewan Liquor and Gaming Authorities. It has oversight of the slot machines and dice games as well as controls that players under 19 were not involved in gambling.
- What is special about this territory, it is the only one in Canada that has temporary 3-day casinos or events organized by charitable organizations. There are no gambling destinations in Yukon except for Diamond Tooth Gertie’s Gambling Hall that operates from May to September. Only 19-year-old and older personalities can participate in gambling though most players still prefer online casinos to temporary or land-based ones.
Provincial vs. Licensed Offshore Online Casinos
Most of the officially licensed casinos in Canada are land-based platforms, but there are two legal online casinos as well. One of them is known as PlayOLG and the second one is PlayNOW. Both these casinos are run by the government and operate only in some Canadian provinces.
- PlayOLG casino was established in 2010 and is owned and operated by the Government of Ontario. It accepts players from 18 years to play lottery and players of 19 and older to play gambling games. There are only two software providers – IGT and High5 Games – that offer around 150 games in this casino.
- PlayNOW was introduced back in 2004 and welcomes players not only from Canada, but also other countries. It is operated by the British Columbia Lottery Corporation and offers games only by Proprietary Games provider.
Both these casinos are considered to be the only legal online gambling platforms that are eligible to operate on the territory of the country. They support the desktop website version as well as run smoothly on mobile devices too. There are many types of casino games offered there including such leaders of the rating as slots, table games and poker, but players have no opportunity to try bingo, craps, scratchcards, and others. The list of banking options is traditional for Canadian players including not only debit and credit cards but also Interac. There are regular bonuses and promotions offered there, but both VIP and loyalty programs are absent. Let’s see what are the main pros and cons of playing at Canadian licensed sites.
|Original Canadian license.||No big choice of gambling platforms.|
|Operated by the government.||Lack of games from different software providers.|
|Different types of games.||Available only in several provinces.|
|24/7 customer support.||No VIP and loyalty programs.|
|The payout percentage of over 93%.||Outdated website interface.|
When choosing the best online casinos in Canada there is a sense to pay attention not only to the presence of the provincial license. There are a lot of offshore gambling platforms that also operate in the Canadian market and despite their ‘gray’ character, they can offer a much bigger number of benefits than local ones.
Offshore casinos are online gaming platforms that are licensed in one country but offer their services in several countries all over the globe. Naturally, there are offshore casinos that may cheat players or turn out to be a scam, but it is important to select platforms carefully to avoid negative gambling experience. Players should pay attention to the casinos that are licensed by authorized gambling commissions as well as possess certificates from recognized testing and controlling bodies. The range of online Canadian casinos is very extensive and it is possible to say that every player can meet his expectations since the selection is really great. However, even offshore casinos have both pros and cons.
|A much greater choice.||More chances to be cheated or get into a scam.|
|Access to the world’s best online platforms.||More difficult to make the choice of the platform to gamble on.|
|Games by different development companies.||Gambling is considered illegal in such casinos.|
|Unbelievable jackpots, special offers and VIP/loyalty programs.|
|Licenses and certificates from the world’s best gambling authorities.|
|Support for different currencies including crypto.|
Popular Land-based Casinos in Canada
If you doubt whether online gambling can be compared with a land-based one or you want to experience what it is like to play in the real terrestrial casino in Canada, it is necessary to understand where you can do that. Most of the provinces have their own land-based casinos that accept players of the legal age (18 years in Alberta, Manitoba, Quebec and 19 years in the rest of the provinces and territories), but there is always a desire to choose the best establishments with the highest payouts. Therefore, this list of popular terrestrial casinos operating in Canada can be a good tip for you.
||📍 Address: 1 Avenue du Casino, Montréal, QC H3C 4W7, Canada
⏰Working Hours: temporarily closed
☎️ Phone Number: +1 514-392-2746
💻 Website: lotoquebec.com
|Casino Nova Scotia, Halifax
||📍 Address: 1983 Upper Water St, Halifax, NS B3J 3Y5, Canada
⏰ Working Hours: temporarily closed
☎️ Phone Number: +1 902-425-7777
💻 Website: casinonovascotia.com
||📍 Address: 377 Riverside Dr E, Windsor, ON N9A 7H7, Canada
⏰Working Hours: temporarily closed
☎️ Phone Number: +1 800-991-7777
💻 Website: caesars.com
Dealing with Gambling Addiction & Problem Gambling in Canada
The popularity of Canadian online gambling is so high that many people do not mind playing casino games on a regular basis. Naturally, it leads to addiction and problems in some cases, so the first thing every gambler should be aware of is where he or she can get help. The list of such resources looks as follows:
- Problem Gambling – an institute that supports addiction and mental health service providers through training and education, developing digital tools and resources, and facilitating knowledge sharing.
- Play Smart – a gambling encyclopedia for making smart choices.
- Canadian Problem Gambling Certification Board – a body that provides certification to gambling specialists;
- Responsible Gambling – a platform that helps to find support services in most cities across Canada, the US & the UK.
- Gambling Therapy – a service that provides anonymous help in case of gambling addiction.
- Is it legal to play at online gambling sites in Canada?
It is absolutely legal to play in the state-run online casinos in Canada in Ontario, British Columbia, Quebec and Manitoba. However, there are provinces where gambling is not regulated and there are no governmental online platforms, so players can play only in foreign casinos.
- How to pick the safest online casino in Canada?
If you are looking for safe Canadian online casinos, check if it has a license of any authorized body, whether it was tested by eCOGRA or any other similar company, and what security measures the casino uses to protect players.
- Should I use casino bonuses?
Naturally, bonuses make gambling much more exciting and rewarding, but remember about possible wagering requirements applied to bonus offers too.
- What is the best payment method to use at online casinos?
It is impossible to give a direct answer to this question since there are a lot of things that should be considered for selecting the best payment method. When you look through Canadian online casino sites in search of a good banking option try to consider the country of residence, deposit limits, time frames, fees and other factors to choose the most appropriate option.
- How can I withdraw my winnings?
Every casino account has access to the Cashier section where players can send a withdrawal request with the amount they wish to get.
- What should I know about deposit and withdrawal limits?
Even if you play in the best casino online in Canada, it still has its own minimum & maximum deposit and withdrawal limits. It means that amounts lower than the minimum deposit amount or higher than the maximum one are not added to the balance. The same goes for withdrawals: requested amounts that are over or less than limits set by a casino will cause a rejection. Therefore, a player should check limits before playing at an online gambling site or choose an online casino with the lowest deposit to avoid problems.
- Can I play at online casinos using Canadian dollars?
Yes, you can. There are a lot of CAD casinos nowadays, but you should check the currencies accepted by the casino in banking options before making a deposit.
- What are the best online casino games for Canadians?
You can choose a good real money online casino in Canada from our list of the best gambling platforms.
- Can I play at online casinos on mobile?
Most of the modern online casinos are responsive and compatible with mobile devices. Some of the best online casinos for Canadian players also offer mobile apps to players.
- What is the best online casino in Canada?
You can look through the best online Canadian casinos on our website and make your own personal choice.
- What is Canada’s legal gambling age?
It depends on the province. It is 18 years for Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec, and 19 years for all other provinces and territories.
- Do I have to pay taxes for my winnings?
Canadians do not have to pay taxes on gambling winnings from horse racing, sports betting, lotteries, online casinos and any other games of chance unless it is their primary source of income.